Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Two Whole Weeks

Two whole weeks have passed, and not a single update on Elm City Wino. I'm sorry friends, I just don't drink enough. Hi, my name is Matt. This is my first meeting. I drink everyday so my friends don't have to...


There have been quite a few samplings, actually, but many didn't earn the effort to turn on my computer.

Alas Rioja, my Muga Rioja Reserva 2000 ($-$$) corked, which was a sad, sad event. Another must buy for fans of Rioja, Muga has been described by local legend, Rinsey, as, "peel-your-face-off-good". Robert Parker (The Wine Advocate) suggests the 2001 vintage ($-$$) should be purchased by the case. A distant relative of Pinot Noir, this Tempranillo has elements of black cherries and good ol' earth and is a great stand alone wine.
New Haven area renters who fear the corkage during this heat should check out Storing Wine in a New Haven Apartment. Others should just throw a wine bacchanalia and invite the ECW crew.

Renwood 2002 Zinfandel Jack Rabbit Flat ($$-$$$) was a nice change of pace. The wine was a dark ruby color, with aromas of blackberry, cherry, cocoa, and pepper. The wine itself was a combination of dark fruits (plums, cherries, blackberries) and black pepper, which, surprisingly, works. The finish lingered, but not for too long, and offered up vanilla and oak.

There was a horizontal tasting of two vintages of Twenty Bench Cabernet from the Napa Valley, 2002 and 2003. Current vintages are around $15. The wines vary from vintage to vintage in that they have small amounts of Syrah added. The two vintages sampled didn't show much difference, other than the 2002 being a little less ripe. This is a MUST BUY, as it will probably be the BEST $15 Cabernet you will ever try, and the only $15 Cabernet you will ever consider aging. A little on the drier side, they open up if poured into a decanter or left open for 45 minutes before pouring (the ghetto-decanter technique).

On one of my visits to Chatham Wine & Spirits (the CT arm of Wine.com), they were tasting DeMartino Legado Reserva Carmenere 2003 ($-$$). As I was driving, I didn't try any (see, mom, I am responsible!), but I did shove my oversize schnoz into a glass, and was taken aback. This wine is going to taste just like Cuvelier Los Andes at half the price, I guarantee it. I ran down to the Wine Thief as soon as I got out of work, but they didn't have any yet, so if you find this, call me and tell me where.

There have also been experiments with German Rieslings, which may or may not make it into a future post. The problem I have with the Germans is that they are hard to differentiate, as all the bottles look the same (blond hair, blue eyes). Thanisch ($-$$) has been a good bet so far.

No comments: