Thursday, July 5, 2007

Calimotxo!

Ah, Calimotxo.
I had believed it to be an abomination. Mixing 50% red wine and 50% Coca-cola. I wouldn't touch the stuff, that is, until ecWino staffer, Mo, made me some.
Mo had been doing a little research on her own, prompted by an article in Time Out New York. She had shown me the article, which suggested using Luzon Verde but had a bottle of Garnacha de Fuego in the picture. That error was enough for me to ignore the idea completely.
Mo tried the Luzon Verde and liked it, but knew I would scoff at the idea of using a decent, low-cost organic in a pseudo-mixed-drink. She tried the Garnacha del Fuego, the last bottle at ecWino HQ (and it's getting damn hard to find), and just didn't tell me about it. She tried it with Marques de Riscal, again knowing I would shudder at the waste of wine.
Then she poured it for me with Wrongo Dongo.

Wrongo Dongo is a food wine. Drink it on it's own, and it's so-so. Pair it with skirt steak or Italian tofu, and it's on fire. I tend to shy away from "food-wines", because, after all, who really wants to eat while they drink??? (50% sarcasm)
I had chalked this wine up to okay-wine-stupid-name, and left a few bottles on the shelf to rot away.

When Mo mixed this with Coca Cola, the whole thing came alive. No too sweet, only slightly carbonated, slightly chilled -- the perfect summer drink!

Calimotxo MUST be made with Coca Cola. It's not the same with Pepsi, Organo-farm, Diet Coke, Cola Spritzer, Sam's Club, HippieTime, any of that -- it's gotta be Coke.
50/50. Mix in a garbage bag for full effect (hey, it's the authentic way), or in a glass with a small cocktail stirrer (damn you, gringo).

Here's the bottle...

I stole the picture from Water Into Wino.
And here's the Wikipedia link... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calimotxo/Calimocho

No comments: