Friday, November 2, 2007

Ansonia?? Shelton???

Local readers will understand my apprehension when I mention that I basically grew up in the "Valley". The Valley, from Naugatuck south to Shelton (yes, Shelton, you're considered Valley), has been the subject of many a joke here in south-central Connecticut. An area formerly made up of abandoned brass mills, empty main streets, and drunk teenagers, the Valley has actually turned around quite a bit.
During a recent visit, I found that Valley towns are slowly becoming an extension of Fairfield County, with the wine to prove it...

Crave is a new restaurant on Main St. in Ansonia (102 Main St. 203.734.2913). They've got quite an impressive wine list, with a focus on quality over quantity. Their food has been likened to that of the former Roomba in New Haven.

Valley Discount Liquor (555 Main St. 1.877.494.WINE) is a larger store that eschews the "big box" feel by having actual sommeliers on staff. They aren't just a specialty shop, however, as you can still get your 30 rack of the High Life. Can't make it down there? They do internet sales.

My visit also brought me to Il Palio in Shelton (5 Corporate Dr. 203.944.0770). They feature Tuscan cuisine, a large wine list from around the world, and a pretty relaxed bar. Check out their website.


Il Palio


I guess I can't use the old running-water-in-the-valley joke anymore.

No comments: