Tuesday, December 13, 2011

What a long, strange trip it's been

What a long, strange trip it's been indeed.

A while back, I started a wine blog.
I was driving a truck for a wine distributor (the International 4300, arguably the most bad-ass of automatic transmission box trucks ever made) and penning an "everyman's" take on wine and what to find in the New Haven area.
The graphics department of the distributor I worked for Googled one of their wines for a shelf talker, and found me. A few weeks later, I was called to the office and given a job as a salesperson.
I handled mostly "on-premise" accounts in the lower Fairfield County area, and had a fun time of it. Some of my favorite accounts to call on were Ferrante (Stamford), Crave (Ansonia), and il Palio (Shelton).
I was approached by an ad agency out of NYC, who purchased my blog (I know, sell out), for way too much money, and never updated it.
The Bear Sterns crash hit, and selling wine along CT's "Gold Coast" was no longer fun (or lucrative). I switched sides to retail.
I started with Southington Wine & Spirits and built up quite a following, before being invited to help start up a new venture in Milford, Total Wine & Spirits. With 20,000+ square feet of awesome, and a seemingly endless budget, I knew I could do good things.

All along, however, I missed blogging.

Then, as luck would have it, the NYC ad agency went belly up, and in a final act of benevolence, left me my old blog in their "will". I'd been toying with the idea of a dot-com, and still am. Just thought I'd use this forum, in case anyone still has me on their RSS feed (suckers), to keep you updated as to when that happens.
In the meantime, keep drinking the good stuff!

-Matt Uva
ElmCityWino

1 comment:

Tomatoes on the Vine said...

It's all about progress. Evolution. Moving forward. Glass in hand. Cheers, Uva!!! xoxoox Moira