Friday, March 30, 2007

Dogfish Head Red & White



While visiting Teri's Package Store in Higganum, CT today, the salesman mentioned a new brew I might be interested in. Dogfish Head Red & White ($) is another in their "big beer" series -- larger bottles, crazier ideas. Normally I try to stick to their 60 minute IPA for drinking, or their 90 & 120 minute IPAs and Old School Barleywine for cellaring. I find much of what they do to be "stunt brewing", which inevitably leads to bad ideas in a bottle.
Red & White caught my interest because, as the salesman informed me, it's aged in Pinot Noir barrels. I just couldn't pass that up. Turns out this beer has "pinot juice", coriander and orange peel added, then 11% is aged in pinot barrels, while the rest is aged in oak. The result is a fairly standard witbier meets fruit juice. My first impression, tasted in a "misc. white" wine glass, was of popcorn. Don't ask, I'm not sure why. It took a few sips, but then I got the coriander, then a strong vanilla, and finally black pepper. While the initial impression is disappointing, letting this beer breathe a little does wonders.
I tasted this beer at room temperature. Beer Advocate recommends 45*F, so I'll have to pick up another one. They also recommend using a pint glass or pilsner glass, both of which I tried, but stand firmly behind my decision to use a white wine glass.

My suggestion is to buy a bottle of this and break it out at the beginning of a "beer night" or booze cruise, and share it amongst friends. This isn't a beer that will leave a lasting impression, but is still worth trying, especially to those uninitiated into the world of "stunt brewing".

This beer has no characteristics that would lead me to try cellaring it. This is a buy once, drink once beverage.

No comments: