Friday, September 7, 2007

Revisiting Firehouse 12

I ran into Carlos from Firehouse 12 (45 Crown St., New Haven) at a wedding recently, and realized it had been a while since I had stopped in for a visit.
Carlos has been busy researching new wines and bringing in some new by the glass items. They almost always have a few specialties hidden away somewhere, so it's a good idea to ask your server before selecting something off the wine list.
I found Capezzana Barco Reale di Carmignano ($) off list. The wine is a blend of sangiovese, cabernet, and canaiolo, and was rated 90 points by Wine Advocate. This is a super value for a Tuscan wine. Earthy cherry and tobacco give way to a medium body and fine tannins. It will pair well with spicier dishes or stand tall on its own.
I was glad to see this wine at Firehouse and I hope it becomes a regular item.
They were also offering the Carrau Tannat Reserva ($) by the glass. For a previous write-up, check here.
One of the Caymus Belle Glos pinot noirs will be available soon by the bottle, although I couldn't figure out which one.

Firehouse also has a fairly progressive beer list.

No comments: