Thursday, April 19, 2007

Edna Valley Pinot Noir


not necessarily the same label, but you get the idea.


First, I'm not going to give you a vintage for Edna Valley Pinot Noir ($). It's one of those wines that are blended to give a similar taste from vintage to vintage. (That may give you an idea of where we're going here).
Smoky, with medium body, and a decent aftertaste, this wine is "drinkable". I would not recommend this wine if you're looking to impress the in-laws, new ladyfriend, etc. I would, however, recommend this wine if you've just come over from Yellowtail and the like, and are looking for a simple, decent, drinkable wine. It's fairly smooth, somewhat "light and fluffy" for a Pinot Noir, and affordable. This is the kind of wine I'll drink at a club. Consider this another one of my "art-opening wines".
I'll definitely take heat from the oeno-snobs for this one. However, I think this is a decent deal in an inexpensive wine. It won't change your life, but it'll do the deed, and you won't look like an Aussie-swill-schlub.

p.s. if you're past the intro to wine stage, and you've taken a liking to Pinot Noir (with or without the help of Sideways), message me, and I'll send you a list of Pinots that'll send you right through to Snob level.

No comments: