Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Sierra Cantabria


image for reference

Opened a bottle of Sierra Cantabria 1998 Cosecha Cuvee Especiale ($) tonight. This wine is grown on the sides of the Sierra Cantabria mountains in the Rioja Valley of Spain, protecting the vines from harsh Atlantic winds. Clay soil adds to the overall feeling of this wine.
My initial reaction when I stuck my nose in the glass was black pepper. Make that, BLACK PEPPER. I got a similar reaction when I tasted it. After letting it breathe, I found aromas of cherries. The tannins start out silky smooth and then produce a fine, grainy texture that you can actually feel.
I feel pretty good about recommending this wine, especially at the price point. If it were a boxer, it would be a middleweight.
The review on Cork'd says this wine didn't give a nasty headache, which is good since I haven't eaten yet.

No comments: